The Alternative Zone 2002
The Alternative Zone ("AltZone") is our contribution to Assembly '02, the largest computer party in the world. While Assembly does not quite represent our idea of "alternative" we do feel it is somewhat complementary to The Alternative Party. Indeed, Assembly '95 -- because of what it was -- lead to the idea of having a truly different event with a much wider range of machines. What we plan to do at this year's Assembly is bring in some of the spirit and experimentation that we feel is so important for the Alternative Party, thus leading to a better Assembly. At the same time we will be telling people about our own event.
- Alt TV. A daily programme covering art, machines and the scenes with a different outlook and fresh attitude.
- Live performances. Music, and anything else we can think of.
Continuing the tradition started at Assembly 2001, we will be organising some "alternative" compos with our own prizes and entries. Just for something a bit different and complementary to the massive main competitions.
Analogue ASCII graphics competition
We invented the analogue graphics compo. Now that Assembly has a compo like that of its own, we go one step further.
- We give you one A4 square paper sheet. You are to draw your picture on it by drawing one character per square.
- Only 7-bit US ASCII may be used:
- No colors except black and white (and different shades of grey).
Unplugged live music compo
- We provide some non-electric instruments (a guitar, a flute etc), you and your friends get 5 minutes to play whatever you like.
- You can also sing/shout.
One-page short story compo
- You've got one A4 paper sheet and you are to write a story on it.
- Drawing or colors are not allowed. Just plain text.
- You can use any language you like.
Alternative classic game compo
- Played on the Oldschool area video projector during the main Assembly game events.
You can connect to your NetHack server via telnet and play the latest version of NetHack. The best score wins.